How To Purchase an American Standard Walk-In Tub
To many, it might seem like a stressful prospect to purchase an American Standard walk-in tub
. Unlike other caregiving devices like medical alert systems
that can fit in the palm of your hand, a walk-in bathtub takes a bit more work. Likely, you already have a tub or shower in your bathroom, so that has to be dealt with. Making matters more complicated, American Standard has hundreds of different models in their online store, so it could be difficult to know where to start.
Luckily, nearly all of these concerns can be addressed by logging on to American Standard’s website and requesting a free installation estimate. In a matter of days, they’ll dispatch one of their professional bathroom safety specialists to your home. They’ll assess the specifics of your bathroom and walk you through which tub models would be best suited to your needs and the constraints of your space.
Purchasing Advice: While American Standard’s full range of walk-in tubs can be purchased online, they can also be found in stores such as Lowe’s and Home Depot, so you can check them out in person.
Types of American Standard Walk-In Tubs
Currently, American Standard offers four different types of walk-in tubs. While nearly all of these tubs feature built-in grab bars and quick fill/draining, we found there are several key differences. Here’s a brief overview of the different American Standard categories of tubs:
- Walk-In Air Baths: Don’t let the name fool you; walk-in air baths still use water like a traditional bathtub. The air refers to the plethora of jets found within the body of the tub that pump air through the water, giving the effect of a massage. With most of these models, the jets are also adjustable.
- Deep Soaking Tubs: For a luxurious experience, look no further than a deep soaking tub. This type of tub, while still possessing a walk-in entry, is deeper than other models, allowing you to fully submerge your body in the water.
- Walk-In Whirlpool Tubs: Similar to an air bath, a whirlpool tub creates a massage effect with a series of jets. Unlike an air bath, however, whirlpool jets propel water for a stronger force.
- Combo Massage Tubs: As the name implies, these walk-in tubs combine water jets with air jets. For those of us who can’t decide between water and air jets, this would be a great option.
Savings Tip: If you purchase your walk-in tub directly from American Standard, the cost includes installation, whereas brick and mortar vendors usually charge an additional fee.
Most people are not aware of this but American Standard offers over two hundred different models of walk-in tubs, several of which I was able to examine as I toured their factory. While prices vary depending upon the specific model, here’s a general overview of their pricing.
American Standard Pricing Overview
|Type of Walk-In Tub
||Number of American Standard Models
||$5,979 – $11,155
|Deep Soaking Tub
||$5,340 – $8,979
||$5,592 – $10,697
|Combo Massage Tub
||$6,928 – $11,981
Luxury Series Right Drain Walk-in Tub
At the American Standard Factory, I was given an up-close look at one of American Standard’s higher-end models, the Luxury Series Right Drain Walk-in Tub, a combo massage tub with just about all the bells and whistles available.
Here’s a rundown of its features which I got to see:
- Handheld Showering Wand: This handy removable showerhead makes it easy to rinse any part of your body, even while seated.
- Hi-Gloss Acrylic Construction: The acrylic construction of my tub is not only easy on the eyes, but it also makes your tub a breeze to clean. With just some paper towels and a solution of vinegar and water, you can wipe away any soap stains that accrue on the sides of your tub.
- Whirlpool Massage System: As mentioned before, these 13 jets circulate water throughout the tub and massage your body. What’s more, these jets are hooked up to an in-line heater which helps prevent the bath from getting cold while in use. They’re even self-cleaning!
- Air Spa System: Similar to the water jets, these 26 air jets provide a soothing sensation on the skin while also circulating the water throughout the tub.
- Chromotherapy System: While the jury is still out on whether chromotherapy lights have tangible biological benefits, I can sure say that the lights in this tub helped put my mind at ease, even from outside of it.
- Patented Watertight Door: An essential component of any walk-in tub, the watertight door allows for easy and safe entry and exit. Should it ever leak, this door is covered by American Standard’s lifetime warranty.
- Quick Drain: One problem with walk-in tubs is that you have to remain inside of them until the water drains, lest you open the door and submerge your bathroom in water. Luckily, with American Standard’s patented Quick Drain technology, the water is actively pumped out through the drain. In under two minutes, you open the door and safely step out of the tub.
- Push Button Controls: On the edge of this tub beside the door were three buttons that controlled the lighting and jet systems. This makes it simple to operate the advanced features.
- Built-In Safety Grab Bar: Although you can purchase an additional grab bar for the area outside of your tub, there was also one built into the tub’s interior, helping me to stand with no hassle.
- Textured Bath Floor: With bathrooms being the most common site of falls for people of any age, I appreciated the stable footing provided by this tub.